*to Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Κυνόσαργες

Wednesday 20 April 2011

'Flyjin' with gall!

Can't divulge the whole particulars, but I have a new 'flyjin' story.  My older 'flyjin' posts are here.
A friend's international school lost a handful of teachers (all from one country, eh?), and not a few more hedged their bets until the end of the spring break, but returned.  Typical stuff, and I do not begrudge those who left merely for leaving, much less those who thought about it.  I thought about it when the first Fukushima news was of reactors popping like teenage pustules.  However, I chose to stay at mine, and even if I had left I was not employed in a position that would leave anyone in the lurch.

Well, most of the teachers who bailed on their classrooms were young enough to need the goodwill of the school for a future recommendation, and returning to a country where there just aren't any teaching jobs, eh?  Their choice, but I would not dare ask after I'd left that way, even if I had done it during real radioactive activity in Tokyo.  If it was worth it to bail, it's worth it to pay the price, in my book.  One of these (let's say the fact he's a semi-literate 'juice head' fit his job description) not only bailed at the very last minute, posted pics of living it up on some island beaches, but also sabotaged his school documents when he was told he would not get the favourable recommendation he asked for.  This all followed him trying to leave the children stuck at the school with the other teachers, so he could go get laid with whatever trash he had set aside for it.

Of course, according to the friend telling me this story, as confident as he was he'd get a favourable recommendation, he's as optimistic about another business plan he has.  Wonder if that will pay him the five-million yen he made to live somewhere as interesting as Tokyo.  Yeah, good luck, kid.

2 comments:

  1. I was suprised my coworkers came back at all, let alone before school restarted. Only one teacher did bail and he was part-time with a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to exchange school names, but better to be discreet online. Mine is in Tokyo, but you are somewhere up in Tohoku, right? Tells you a lot about the idiocy of human decision making that more left from my school in Tokyo, than left from yours closer to the disasters.

    ReplyDelete