Those of us of all races who actually live(d) there and have/had to deal with institutionalized racism, like not being able to
That is to say nothing of the social racism and microagressions, such as
- get a loan
- lease certain apartments
- basically do anything without having a Japanese guarantor
- apply for a credit card (which appears to have eased in the last three years)
- get a bilingual job despite being fluent in both languages because it’s “Japanese-only”
- have a real entry in your Japanese partner’s koseki as a spouse and co-parent of their children (you get to be a footnote!)
- get a cell phone without paying upfront because of the length of your visa; or pay upfront because you don’t have a credit card (see above)
- be able to keep your name upon marriage or gaining citizenship
**Note that most of these are not unique to Japan, especially the last point. That still doesn’t make it okay.
- having your company turned away from helping with Fukushima clean-up because “foreigners roaming around…may scare the old grandmas and granddads”
- having to deal with racist cops who don’t help people who’ve been assaulted because they aren’t Japanese
- apparently unable to commute without kids screaming shit at you in the streets
- reading the signs and following all the rules better than native speakers but being treated like a child at your gym
- creepers who take your photograph without permission as if you were an animal in the zoo
- creepers who simultaneously fear and sexualize your body for being exotic
*to Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Sunday, 26 January 2014
Japan is not your home.
I'll just put this link here, for anyone who hasn't internalized this yet. Leave. Fuck Japan. It's not your home, and it never can be, and many will remind you often, and remind your beautiful 'hafu' children too, and theirs also.