Nobody loves this place, unless in ignorance. The reasons are legion, but I'll give an example to elucidate the whole.
I want to do this race in October, but I cannot easily get to it, and I live on a subway station! What the everlasting fuck?! The everlasting fuck in Toronto: fuck you if you don't have a car.
Here's the deal:
- all athletic events like this start early on Sundays*
- the trains do not start until nine in Toronto on Sundays!
- you can take buses before then, infrequently, and tardily
- but these will be diverted off the major streets, their normal routes
- instead of forty minutes to get there, over ninety
- I could cycle there far faster, which is probably something I don't want to do the day I'm going to run 42km
- did I mention one has to pick up the bib the day before the race at every running event in Canada (not so in Japan, but their mail works) and the location is far from any subway station?
- and nearly $100 CAD
There are no end of solutions. which can only not occur to an entire organization that has cars on the mind. Fuck Toronto.
I may just do my Misanthrope Marathon: run on my own between two subways stations, at my convenience.
*I just missed one today, because it would take as long to get to it on a Sunday morning as it would take to get from Tokyo station to Nagoya.