The demonstrations in the street in Montréal have made American news. Here's the crib-sheet:
- started as protest against tuition increases
- did not have the support of most in Québec since tuition is quite low, and some of the student antics were juvenile
- the Premier of the province brought in a law against concealing one's face on the street (not police, of course)
- N.American Francophones understand the 'security state' and the nature of 'security theater' a lot better than the Anglophones do
'distinct society'? It is the only part of Canada:
- that is not American
- votes on social policy, not 'wedge issues'
- has any urban charm
- keeps Canada from better health and lifestyle outcomes than the idiot nation to the south ('idiot nation', not every individual)
There are many more links about the news in Montreal.
Update: fucking pigs 'kettled' the demonstrators. The purpose of kettling, and the nuisance charges lain on that won't stand up in court, but gain the demonstrators a night in jail, is to take away the right of peaceful assembly. The correct response is to come out in numbers the police cannot deal with. Montreal may (please!); Toronto rolled over.