(because I can't stand to see Armstrong's fucking face)
Of course, guilty is the most economical explanation, and I like economical explanations:
- he won seven times
- he recovered from cancer and won
- he won in a field of dopers
- his teammates have been caught
- his teammates accuse him of same
- he acts a right cock, including going after Lemond for accusing him, and wrecking Lemond's relationship with Trek
Yeah, it's a fucking duck.
But if pro-sports are in any way self defining, you are a chump. Brain-injury and 'roids in football, match-fixing in Sumo, the entirety of the five-ring circus (Olympics)... You have to be far more credulous than I. When there's money, people cheat; when people cheat, everyone else has to do so to keep up.
*I read that joke elsewhere. Wish it were mine.