Ho ho ho, my little elf.
I screwed up my order to 'the Meat Guy', so wasn't getting a duck: stuck with turkey. I found three frozen turkeys at Niku-no-hanamasa last week and was so proud of myself not having to chase one down, downtown. "Too bad my wife's got our tiny freezer full of Japanese crap, but surely they'll still have one on Saturday." No.
So, forced to go hunting for fowl today. Seijo-Ishii was, as expected, entirely a waste of time, but it was where I had to change trains for Hiro-o anyway. I loathe Hiro-o, and loathe 'international supermarkets' even a little more. I scorn how 'international' is used in Japan: marketing. 'International' grocer National Azabu is more Japanese than international:
- small (wtf was the point of their renovation?)
- puny beef roasts poorly labelled
- no goose
- same frozen turkey as Niku-no-hanamasa, but in stock at least
- no Christmas pudding or fruitcake, or Christmas foods section... at Christmas!
- poor beer and spirits selection, and most wines from France (poor value) because that's what Japanese will buy
Fuck Japan. Meat's not limited to boiling with cabbage, or cut into scraps drowned in salt and scorched. Fuck the entire fucking archipelago for knowing nothing about roasts, ovens, baking, barbecue... Umami my ass!