So I was in this Facebook group. Some members got together to do something once and the two dozen people got along. New guy joins after this, goes on one event I did not join. Following that he acts like a complete asshole on the group postings, especially to me after I call him on it with a bit of diplomacy. In the end I chose to leave the group. Whatever, but every group has an asshole, right?
Well I have a few problems with that: history.
1. My father was a fucking asshole, and I had to take his shit for nearly two decades.
2. I have one brother who is a complete asshole even when he isn't in one of his bipolar phases, which don't help.
3. I have another brother who is a bit of an asshole, but I put up with him for my mother.
4. Mind you, she was too much of a Catholic martyr to protect her sons from the asshole she married by leaving with us, so she's an asshole too.
5. I lived with a woman who was for a couple years, for what I don't even remember.
6. And all the random assholes we've all dealt with at school, work and in society.
I have a few more problems with assholes: principles and pragmatics.
- I won't put up with their shit silently to keep the peace, because they rely on being able to do that.
- If the moderator of the Facebook group won't say anything to an asshole, he's a coward, or an asshole, so I am better off without both.
- I am not going to enjoy myself going to any event with this asshole, or commenting on the same threads with him, except for the brief satisfaction if I flame him. With training from an asshole Yorkshire father and this guy a white American, there is no way he could keep up with my bile, except it's beneath my dignity to give him that much attention.
- A shame I will not meet up with the other people in the group again, but odds are they put up with his shit too, so what am I supposed to think of that?
'A majority of one' is lonely though, but integrity ain't supposed to be cheap.
Let me clarify 'asshole'. Society tells you it's people who rock the boat, and are difficult because they are iconoclasts who won't 'drink the Koolaid'. Happily guilty. However, no, that's called a freethinking human. An asshole uses people as tools, lacks empathy and has an exaggerated sense of their entitlements.