*to Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Κυνόσαργες

Sunday 16 January 2011

"Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!"

I'd forgotten that the winter winds in Kanto are very constant.  Glad I remembered enough of it not to bring my fixed-gear, but I could use one with the three-speed S3X hub.  We've had 20-40km winds from the NW for weeks, and it is cramping my shiftless training.  I have a couple of choices: fly downwind for minutes, and grind back for hours, or the opposite; or take a train upwind, and fly home.

"Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!
You cataracts and hurricanoes, spout
Till you have drenched our steeples, drowned the cocks!
You sulphurous and thought-executing fires,
Vaunt-couriers to oak-cleaving thunderbolts,
Singe my white head! And thou, all-shaking thunder,
Strike flat the thick rotundity o' the world!
Crack nature's molds, all germens spill at once
That make ingrateful man!"

Nothing beats Shakespeare on a tear (King Lear: Act III, Scene II).

No comments:

Post a Comment