*to Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Wednesday, 11 June 2014
Too much trouble for a regional language
Arististhenes: Fine, my pronunciation's wrong. How do I say 'curry'?
His J-wife: Curry.
Arististhenes: In Japanese, genius.
J-wife: Ahh... 'káree'.*
Arististhenes: The fish?
Arististhenes: To age?
Arististhenes: Fuck your provincial language. It's no way worth the trouble.
*Romanizations are my own improved version, easy to print and to type, which would do for Japanese what's been done for Vietnamese: bring it out of the Sinophile dark ages.
- accents mark inflection, rather than all other versions which ignore it
- simple doubled vowels mark lengthened vowels
- double consonants mark glottal stops
- consider not only using 'n' for final-consonant, but also 'm' for the final-consonant when mouth is closed and 'ng' when nasal, because the final-consonant is not always the same
- no denoting of loan words, because all languages borrow and maybe Japanese could get the fuck over it
- no kanji, because this is not Chinese, or in its language family